Tuesday, May 7, 2013

That white envelope is trying my patience.

Kolton sent in his mission papers the last week of January.  It was at that point I started to feel my sanity slipping.  Not that I had a firm grasp on my sanity anyway.  About a year before Kolton decided to go on a mission, we asked him if he could go anywhere in the world - where would he want to go.  He said Kyoto, Japan.  He loves Japan.  I know that this stems partially from being a third degree black belt in a Japanese martial art. He understands the culture and the discipline and loves that they honor their heritage and traditions.  He also speaks Japanese.

On the surface, you would think that he's a shoo-in for Japan.
 But, the missionary department does some pretty wacky things.
I know that they are inspired and all that,
but I just wanted them to be inspired to send my boy to Japan.

Our friend, Robert, who works at the post office, said that his call was there and that I could come pick it up.  Hmmm...me (alone) at work with the envelope...for 7 hours?  Probably not a good idea.
So, they delivered it, where it would be safe in the mailbox.

Unfortunately, Kolton couldn't come home from school for two more days.  What?  He had to take tests and do other responsible things like that.  I don't really know what happened to me, but, according to bystanders (Rick and Elizabeth) I spiraled into some kind of manic, hyperactive, obsessive behavior for the next two days, where I would intermittently just stare at the envelope.  I think that I was trying some weird channeling of energy into the envelope that would make his mission call to be to Japan.  Who knew that a simple white envelope could inspire such behavior?  Kolton was calm about the whole thing.  It is sad when your 18 year old is more mature than you.


 ^
 white envelope of mystery

He did, eventually, come home.  Madisen and Vic came up from Bountiful for the big moment.  They wanted to buy sushi - but decided that might jinx it.  They brought a "Bruce Bogtrotter cake" from Costco (those of you who have watched "Matilda" will understand) instead.

We all gathered around.  This is the big moment.  That's me screaming - sorry about that.

Boo!
Video is having a hissy fit - I'll upload it later.




 He's going to KOBE, JAPAN.  Whew! Deep sigh of relief.
I have never seen a bigger grin on that kid.
 He leaves on May 15 which is just a week and a half after he finishes his semester.
 It was also the earliest date that he said that he could leave.

Now, I have to say that he said that he would go anywhere.
 But, being able to go somewhere he loves just makes it a little easier for me to let him go.




No comments:

Post a Comment